Mitchell Family Crest / Mitchell Coat of Arms
View our Mitchell Coat of Arms Gift Products here: http://www.4crests.com
Where did the Scottish mitchell family come from? What is the Scottish coat of arms/family crest? When did the mitchell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mitchell, Michel, Michell, Mitchill, Mychell, Mitcham and many more.
First found in Surrey, where the family was seated from very early times. The mitchells were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Maudlin Mitchell, who sailed to Virginia in 1620; Mathew Mitchell, who arrived in Connecticut in 1630; Edward Mitchell, who settled in Virginia in 1635.
Motto Translated: By God’s favour I conquer.
Suggested Readings for the name mitchell
* Descendants of John Mitchell of Drumore Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania by Warren A. Brannon.
* The Mitchell Family of Tipton County, Tennessee by Helen Mitchell Goggins.
Some noteworthy people of the name mitchell
* Maria Mitchell (1818-1889), American astronomer who was the first to discover a comet with the use of a telescope and was the first woman admitted to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, as well as the American Philosophical Society, William Ormond Mitchell (1914-1998), a well-known Canadian writer, Joan Mitchell (b. 1926), a prominent painter, and Arthur Mitchell (b. 1934), a world-renowned dancer, artistic director, educator, and choreographer who founded the Dance Theatre of Harlem
* Edgar D. Mitchell, American astronaut
* Billy Mitchell (1879-1936), American military leader
* Dennis Mitchell, American athlete
* Silas Weir Mitchell (1829-1914), American physician
* Brigadier General William Lendrum “Billy” Mitchell (1879-1936), American aviation pioneer regarded as the father of the U.S. Air Force. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross and the Distinguished Service Medal
* Elma Mitchell (b. 1919), Scottish poet
* Neil Mitchell, Scottish pop star
* Sir Peter Chalmer Mitchell (1864-1945), Scottish zoologist
* Sir Thomas Livingstone Mitchell (1792-1855), surveyor and explorer of south-eastern Australia Scottish
* William Ormond Mitchell (1914-1998), well-known Canadian writer
* Joan Mitchell (b. 1926), prominent painter
* Arthur Mitchell (b. 1934), world-renowned dancer, artistic director, educator, and choreographer who founded the Dance Theatre of Harlem
* Helen Porter Mitchell (1861-1931), original name of Australian Dame Nellie Melba
* James Fitzallen Mitchell (b. 1931), Grenadine politician
* Peter Dennis Mitchell (b. 1920), English biochemist
* Reginald Joseph Mitchell (1895-1937), English aircraft designer
* Warren Mitchell (b. 1926), English actor
* Maureen “Little Mo” Mitchell (1898-1973), Swedish author
* William Mitchell (1916-1977), original name of Peter Finch
* George Allan Mitchell (1911-1944), British soldier awarded the Victoria Cross during WW2
* Captain Coulson Norman Mitchell (1889-1978), Canadian recipient of the Victoria Cross during the First World War
Leave a Response »