Summers Family Crest / Summers Coat of Arms
Summers Coat of Arms
Purchase Summers Family Crest / Summers Coat of Arms Products Here: http://www.4crests.com
Where did the English summers family come from? What is the English coat of arms/family crest? When did the summers family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?
summers is a name that dates far back into the mists of early British history to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes. It is derived from the baptismal name for the son of Summer, a personal name given to a child who was born in the summer. Baptismal names began to appear as surnames relatively late in the growth of the naming tradition. This is a little surprising, given the popularity of biblical figures in the Christian countries of Europe. Nevertheless, surnames derived from baptismal names grew in popularity during the Middle Ages, and have become one of the foremost sources for surnames.
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name summers has undergone many spelling variations, including Somers, Sommers, Summers, Sommer, Summer, Somerton, Sommerton, Sumpton, Sumption and many more.
First found in Worcestershire where they were seated from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Whiteladies, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name summers were among those contributors: Sir George Somers who settled in the Somers Islands (Jamaica) in 1609; Sir George also helped colonize Maine in 1610. James Somers settled in Virginia in 1635.
For more information on the last name summers, the PDF Surname History is available for purchase as well as other products.
Suggested Readings for the name summers
* Carolina Summers by Mildred J. Miller.
* The Sommer, Sommers, Somers and Summers that Missed the Boat by William Clark Summers.
Some noteworthy people of the name summers
* William Reed Summers (1895-1966), an American umpire in Major League Baseball player
* Lawrence Henry “Larry” Summers (b. 1954), an American economist, former Secretary of the Treasury
* Robert Summers, an U.S. economist and professor emeritus, University of Pennsylvania
* Robert Summers, an American painter and sculptor
* Andy Summers (b. 1942), an English guitarist and composer best known for his work with The Police
* Augustus Montague Summers (1880-1948), an eccentric English author and clergyman
* Henry Forbes Summers (1911-2005), a senior British civil servant
Leave a Response »